Thursday, May 6, 2010

Outside Event #2

I only just got around to posting this. But my second outside event took place at Burke's Books. The reading was of the book "Something Is Out There" by Richard Bausch. The place was packed, there was absolutely nowhere to sit, so I got to stand like some of my classmates whom also attended. Richard's daughter played a few songs on her guitar, which I felt took a lot of courage, but that is because I have terrible stage fright. I already felt uncomfortable do to the singing and standing. The start of the readings did not go smoothly however,Mr. Bausch started talking very quietly and someone had to tell him to read louder. The reading consisted of a chapter called Immigration. The chapter was about immigrants of different ethnicity trying to gain citizenship in the United States. Richard used some funny accents in his reading which spiced it up a bit. The reading made me realize just how tough it is to completely change your surroundings. They left their land and possibly left some of their possessions to start a new life. Sadly, their new life was not all happiness. There was plenty of struggle. The writing was very thoughtful and I enjoyed it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment