Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What If #15

What if you got everything you wanted? Would you ever be satisfied? My belief is that you would never truly be satisfied. As anyone gets what they want, they find that they get bored with what they have and begin to want more. This continues until death. I have caught myself wanting more many a times, after all, I'm only human. I've been reading about the world's wisest man and what he had to say about this world. He saw the world as God saw it, as a place where men toil day after day to reach a point that doesn't matter. At the same time, seeing that it all doesn't matter except for what God has planned for you lead him (and myself) to believe that one did not need to worry about the future. "For there is a proper time and procedure for every matter, though a man's misery weighs heavily upon him. Since no man knows the future, who can tell him what is to come? No man has power over the wind to contain it; so no one has power over the day of his death. As no one is discharged in time of war,so wickedness will not release those who practice it." Ecclesiastes 8:6-8. Not being able to control when you will die lets off a lot of pressure. I don't need to worry about when I am going to die because I can do nothing to prevent it. God already knows what you are going to do and has planned your life to lead up to your death. A misconception with being a Christian is that you will be safe in everything you do. God promises to never take you past your breaking point but never promises an easy life. "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Corinthians 10:13. It also promises that if you follow the word exactly, you will be persecuted by the world, "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven...."
Matthew 5:10-12
But we all have rough parts in our life, and I've had my fair share. "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23
This goes back to the original thought in this blog that we all are going to die eventually. I have embraced that fact and do not fear death at the moment, but there is no telling how one will react until faced with the situation. I know I mess up and I will keep asking for forgiveness and push on. When I mess up, I always remember Alexander Pope's quote, "To err is human, to forgive divine," and how God removes our sins "as far as the east is from the west."

No comments:

Post a Comment