Saturday, September 19, 2009

Conversation observation

The conversation was a little different from my point of view because I was not observing but participating. From my view, it seemed more like a interrogation, no offense to Elliot, but he didn't really ask that many questions, mostly he just answered my questions. The free discussion session was very interesting because we both seemed very timid and our body language showed that we did not wish to be there. As the exercise continued, we both became a little less reserved and more open to the conversation. We both found common ground or made observations to start a topic. My example of observation was that he was wearing a Volcom shirt and hat, and from my prior knowledge of the company Volcom, I knew he must either just like the brand or he skated. My deductions were correct when he answered that he had skated until they shut down the Skate Park of Memphis, or SPoM as he referred to it. Then I found out that he had recently played paintball, which was the topic of my autobiographical essay, so I talked about my paintball gun for a few sentences. A while later, Wendy Sumner-Winter started giving us topics to converse about. I did not mind the first topic, which was: "What is your favorite song?" Me being an avid music listener, I countered by saying that I could not answer with one single song, it really depends what mood you are in. Right then, the conversation took a turn for the worst, Mrs. Sumner-Winter started giving us very annoyingly wierd topics of which to speak about. Puppies were apparently a funny topic to talk about since she burst out laughing when I mentioned that my family owns two Pomeranians. The topics started to get very wierd as it went from donuts, Ireland, and then to llamas. It became a struggle just to find what to say about these awkward subjects, and the body language from the beginning of the conversation resumed as we sort of tried to shut ourselves out of the situation by shutting down, but that would not work. My main observation of the whole thing had to be that it was really awkward throughout the whole thong due to all the silent listeners who just happened to be taking notes on the whole conversation. Overall it was a great learning opportunity to tell about body language an how it coincides with how one feels.



3 comments:

  1. I love Pomeranians. I have no idea why I thought that was funny, except, I guess, that it's always interesting to me when I come across a manly guy out walking tiny dogs. Not a thing in the world wrong with it, it just strikes me as funny.

    I'm sorry you thought the exercise was annoying, but it did have a point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are those your dogs??? they are so cute!
    your mom must have picked them out. it would be kind of weird to see a guy go out to buy some pomeranians.hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i don't actually walk the dogs though. My mom definitely picked them out, she has bred Pomeranians for many years now. Our family has always owned pomeranians, so I am used to it. If I had a choice of a pet, I would pick a cat. But if it had to be a dog, I would get a Huskie.

    ReplyDelete