Thursday, September 17, 2009

The first time I listened and watched the video, I saw all the basic things that anyone would look for: he was hanging out with his mom in the kitchen, the mother was very stubborn, the guy did not want the fish, she tried to put facts into his head. She then began to doubt herself in a way as she remembered mercury poisoning. I thought it was funny that she wanted to go to a seafood restaurant after they found the other restaurant was full. When I watched with just the sound, I noticed that the guy had a northern accent and spoke fairly quickly. It was almost as if he had already had this conversation once before. I found that he did not use many pronouns, instead he just kept repeating everything he said. After I watched without the sound, it seemed as if the mom did not even pay attention to what he said. He also kept reading a piece of paper for a while before actually dropping to talk to his mom.
The second time I did the exercise, I found that I noticed deeper meaning within the drawings and words. An example would be the fact that the mother tries to appeal to her son's intellect, showing that he may be a grad student, or just very smart. The addition of the celery shows that she has already tried to make her son eat tuna fish, and he may of complained about it being too chewy, which accounts for her hinting that the celery adds more crunch to the tuna. I also found that the mother may be extremely stubborn, as she requests to go to a seafood restaurant even after his conversation to her about hating fish earlier that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment