Monday, October 5, 2009

Top Gear

I just finished watching one of my favorite programs on TV. Top Gear appears on BBC America and is taped in Britain. The point of the show is to entertain people who enjoy learning about cars. The show has three funny hosts, Richard Hammond, James May, and Jeremy Clarkson. I find it funny that while watching the program, I think in British car lingo. Words are used differently in Britian, such as a bonnet, boot, windscreen, petrol, and topped up. These words mean hood, trunk, windshield, gasoline, and topped off, respectively. Sometimes they say these words and I understand what they are saying without realizing that they are using the British version of the words. Many foreign language teachers say that you are not truly fluent in a language until you can think in that language. I enjoy this show a lot and hope that many discover the things that make me enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. I am not the car kind of guy but for some reason I really enjoy watching intsructional shows on cars. Cars have always been an interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Bobby, does that mean you're officially fluent in English?

    I do think that's true, and yet it fades if you don't use it, unfortunately. When I moved back to the states from Germany I thought, even dreamed, in German for a long time. I was kind of sad when I realized I wasn't doing it anymore.

    ReplyDelete